Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 PNWBA Sanctioned Events
 PNWBA Events
 2018 Rib Rally Roll Call

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dale-Cider House Posted - 12/26/2017 : 1:42:34 PM
Making a command decision adding in the two teams on the waitlist for a total of 14 teams. The impact will be a slight change to the judging schedule to allow the extra teams and also to give the judges a little more of a break which they can certainly use. The new schedule is updated below. From a teams perspective, instead of turn-ins 60 minutes apart, they will be 90 minutes apart. Overall, the judging time is extended 30 minutes. 01/21/18

7th Annual Winter Blues Rib Rally
Saturday, March 31st, 2018
Pacific Park Fire Station
1501 NE 164th Avenue
Vancouver, WA USA
Can you believe it, this is our seventh year!

This is a face-the-judges cook-off where each team will have assigned times to present their chicken and rib entries for judging and feedback. You will have 10 minutes for each meat category so it is important you are not late and the table captain will be strict with the stopwatch so all teams have a full opportunity to benefit from this setup. Entry fee is $100, payable to Dale Groetsema (14906 NE 16th Street, Vancouver, WA 98684) by March 30th, 2018 or bring cash to the event.

As we did last year, we will have two tables judging both meats which enable us to schedule chicken in the first hour and ribs in the second hour and levels the playing field a little bit by giving all the teams about the same amount of time to prepare their entries in each category. This also means you will have your chicken submitted to one table of judges and your ribs to the other table so you get a good cross-section of feedback.

In addition to the valuable experience for the teams, this event raises money for two good causes. The Vancouver Firefighters Community Action Fund provides emergency funds to families affected by fires in their homes food, lodging, clothes, whatever they may need in the very short term. The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society supports research for cures for all types of blood cancers. Part of your entry fees, and donations from Leukemia Sucks Too, BBQ and others and monies raised from the Friends and Family potluck all go 50/50 to these two very deserving causes. In 2017, we raised over $2000. Our goal this year is to meet or beat that number.

All the rules about a PNWBA cook-off are the same with just two significant exceptions:

1 - This event is meant to replicate a normal cook-off where you have up to 24 hours to prep and cook your meat. Our timeline is much shorter than that, so you will be allowed to prep and season your meat any way you choose prior to arrival and meat inspection. Just no cooking of the meat until after inspection occurs. Meat inspection will be looking only that you are storing your meat safely clean and cold.

2 For the judges table, you will turn in a minimum of 6 individual pieces of chicken and 6 individual ribs. You can include more in the turn-in container, if you like but remember that appearance is scored just like a regular event. You will also turn-in, in a separate container, exactly three pieces of chicken and exactly three individual ribs for the firefighters judging. Jane and Frank Biehl are again heading up the judging duties-they will post a roll call for judges in the appropriate forum.

Site inspection will include the normal stuff fire extinguisher, 3 compartment dish washing, hand washing, and digital thermometer. We are ok if two or more teams want to share some non-cooking equipment but each team MUST have their own current extinguisher and digital thermometer.

We will perform site inspection when you are ready, ideally in the order of your arrival and will assign your turn-in times at the inspection. You will be given two times, exactly 1 hour apart, for chicken and ribs (to enable up to 10 teams to have the same times for both meats (such as 11:10 and 12:10), we will select two teams to have turn-ins of 11:00 and 1:00. In total, we have room for 12 teams.

Cooks Meeting at 8:30 am is where you will receive your four turn-in containers, foil pans for your potluck meat donations and any last minute instructions. We usually ask each team to tell a little bit about themselves so expect the meeting to last 30 minutes or so. Each team must have at least one representative at the meeting.

Friends and Family Potluck
Once again, we will host the F&F potluck, both for a chance to socialize with your fellow competitors, judges and any first responders that attend but also as a fundraiser for our charities. This event is NOT open to the public to avoid any conflict with local health department rules. Each team will be provided with at least two potluck tickets. For any additional friends and family you invite, we will be asking for a suggested donation of $10 per person. All of this money will go to the charities.

We are asking all the teams to cook sufficient meat in each category to have leftovers to donate to the potluck. You need a minimum of 9 pieces of chicken and 9 individual ribs for judging, so plan accordingly (cook 16-24 pieces of chicken and 3 slabs of ribs, for example) so you have leftovers to share. Foil pans to hold your meat will be provided at the cooks meeting.

We are also asking each team to further participate by providing a side dish or dessert for the potluck (casseroles, baked beans, creamed corn, brownies, cobblers, etc) which may be prepared on site but do NOT have to be prepared or cooked on site. We are asking the judges to participate by providing a dessert or beverages. Please prepare at least a half-sized foil pan of whatever you are making. Full sized pans are greatly appreciated to allow for leftovers for the first responders.
We will provide all the equipment needed to hold, store, and serve the food. You do not need to provide steam tables or utensils.
Because there are sometimes shortages, any chairs and/or tables you can bring for the potluck are appreciated.

Awards
Total purse will be $1500. Payouts will be for first three places face-the-judges in each category ($200, $150, $100), first place for each category for firefighters ($100) and GC/RGC ($250, $150). In addition, there will be trophies handed out and the ever popular hats for each team called.

Time Line
5:00 am Load in begins (please do not set up prior to this time)
6:00 am Meat and site inspections begin
8:30 am Cooks Meeting
10:00 am Competition Toast (Teams and Judges)
11:00 am Chicken turn-ins begin (two teams assigned every 10 minutes)
12:10 pm Chicken turn-ins finished and Judging break
12:30 pm Rib turn-ins begin (two teams assigned every 10 minutes)
1:40 pm Rib turn-ins finished
2:00 pm Friends and Family Potluck
3:00 pm Awards (or earlier)
5:00 pm Cleanup and load out completed

We will have an ash can and also some buckets for grease and a dumpster for your trash. Power is limited so let me know if you need it so we position you close to the outlets. Be sure to bring at least 100 of extension cord and please limit your power to what you absolutely need to cook. Please police your cook area to make sure we leave it as good as we found it. Protection under your smoker to protect the asphalt is appreciated.

Any questions? Contact me via email (vancguy@hotmail.com) or call/text at 360-984-7571 or respond to this posting. Also, please respond here to confirm you intend to participate and what you will bring for your side dish so maybe we wont have 12 pans of baked beans. Check back every couple days for updates.
See you soon.

Dale Groetsema

Roll Call (Team Name, Pitmaster, Potluck item, need power, Tables and/or chairs

1. Original Northwest BBQ Company, Paul Glavanits, Mac N Cheese, no Power
2. Mad Cow BBQ, Wayne Fettback, World Class Chili, needs power
3. 503 Backyard BBQ, Joe Guerra, Creamed Corn, No power needed,
4. G2 Pit Crew (at least half of it), Verl Green and Tom Dreyer, Pit Beans, no Power,
5. Franks BBQ, Frank Volz, Twice Cooked Potatoes, no power needed
6. Smokin Bocks, Dave Bock, Green Bean Casserole, no power, two tables, no chairs
7. Big Dubbz BBQ, Durand Jones, Okinawan Sweet Potato and Haupia Pie, No Power needed, ??
8. BamBam BBQ, Rick Wenger, Peach Bourbon 7 Bean Casserole, needs power
9. Smokey Mirrors, Dale Southmayd, Sweet Pasta Salad, needs power,
10. Lake House BBQ, Diane Mee. Cheesecake Dessert, Needs Power, Two 2x4 tables, Four padded folding chairs
11. Warpig BBQ, Jason Bauer, Clam Chowder, no power needed,
12. Slo-Mo-Que, William Whitfield, Apple Pie and Bourbon Pecan Pie, No power needed, tables and chairs
13. Chins BBQ, Aaron Martinez, ??, no power needed
14. Smokin Rob, Robert Kimmons, dirty rice, needs power
15. Grate Smoke BBQ, Jason Cresswell
16. Smokehouse 10, Dave Tendick
17. Big Kahuna's BBQ, Gary Herrera

Waitlist
1. CLOSED

One final note I will be traveling out of the country most of the month of March so I really need to know if you are going to participate in this event before March 1st. Jane Biehl will be monitoring any requests that come in after I leave town. This is a great opportunity to test your new recipe or gain valuable experience from real judges about your cooking process. And it is for a great cause.

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dsouthmayd Posted - 04/02/2018 : 09:36:23 AM
Thx, makes sense. It would have been nice to see the specific scores for each category since I did not write them down during the discussion. Still, really great stuff and appreciated the judges comments!
ckelly Posted - 04/02/2018 : 09:11:49 AM
Since you were getting the feedback direct from the judges at this event, there were no comment cards.
In a typical competition, yes, you would get them at the end of the event after the awards ceremony along with your score sheets and any prize money.
dsouthmayd Posted - 04/02/2018 : 07:12:12 AM
Newbie question, do we get the judges comment cards? Should we have picked them up at the event?

BTW, we had a great time!
The Grands BBQ
Dale-Cider House Posted - 04/01/2018 : 05:42:02 AM
What a day! What an event!! The 7th version of our Annual Rib Rally was the best ever. Perfect weather (for March) in the mid 60s and sunshine, record team participation (17 new and experienced pitmasters competed) and everyone, including first responders, friends and family, enjoyed the huge potluck created by the cooks and judges. When all the dust settled, Diane Mee of Lakehouse BBQ was Grand Champion and Dave Bock of Smokin Bocks was Reserve Grand Champion. By Category, Smokin Bocks was first in Chicken, Lake House was first in ribs.Over on the Firefighter Judging table, Robert Kimmons of Smokin Rob took top honors. Smokin Rob took first in chicken and Grate Smoke took 1st in ribs.
The big winner of the day were the charities. Between entry fees, donations by the PNWBA and others, and collections at the Potluck, we raised over $2200, to be shared equally by the Vancouver Firefighters Community Action Fund and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
Thanks to Jane Biehl and Frank Biehl for their tireless support to the event, Pat Maddock and Christine Maddock for coming down to help with scoring and coaching the Firefighter judges, Gregg Fujino, Brian Gurney, Kris Hollis, Lynnae Oxley-Loupe also helped, with judging and mentoring new teams throughout the day. Henry Armstrong and Maria Groetsema and Mike Olesnevich pitched in to manage the potluck line which was overwhelmed with generous food donations from the teams and judges. Finally, thanks to the men and women of Station 10 for inviting us into their home to hold this great event.
ptldrabbit Posted - 03/30/2018 : 7:48:57 PM
You will be given 2 turn in boxes, one box of six pieces for the certified judges and one box of 3 pieces for the firefighter judges.

quote:
Originally posted by GrateSmoke

We are going to bring a cucumber and tomato salad, well make it onsight. Are the boxes going to be bigger since we are turning in 9? Just trying to figure out how much green we will need. We do not need power. We look forward to participating and seeing everyone.

GrateSmoke Posted - 03/30/2018 : 7:02:41 PM
We are going to bring a cucumber and tomato salad, well make it onsight. Are the boxes going to be bigger since we are turning in 9? Just trying to figure out how much green we will need. We do not need power. We look forward to participating and seeing everyone.
Dale-Cider House Posted - 02/28/2018 : 12:29:23 AM
OKAY. Nobody has paid yet - and that is fine. Just bring your money with you the morning of the event. Cash only please and Wayne, I will accept Canada dollars but will send them back your way the following week.

I leave in a couple days on vacation and will be mostly out of touch until I return on March 27th. If you have any questions, you might reach out to Jane Biehl or Pad Maddock - they kinda know the routine, or shoot me an email at vancguy@hotmail.com If I am in an internet cafe on my travels, I will respond. Otherwise, we will figure it out in those couple days we have after I return.

See you all soon.
Dale-Cider House Posted - 02/26/2018 : 8:31:13 PM
pay at event is ok

quote:
Originally posted by smokin rob

do you want to pay on the day of the event or send it

smokin rob Posted - 02/22/2018 : 10:39:53 AM
do you want to pay on the day of the event or send it
smokin rob Posted - 02/22/2018 : 10:38:40 AM
yes I need power a pan of dirty rice
Dale-Cider House Posted - 02/21/2018 : 08:28:06 AM
Great. Do you need power to cook and what side dish can you bring?
quote:

thanks will attend

smokin rob Posted - 02/19/2018 : 11:22:46 AM
thanks will attend
mcyork28 Posted - 01/24/2018 : 09:37:36 AM
Thank you Dale, I appreciate that offer.

quote:
Originally posted by Dale-Cider House

Matt, this would be a great event to watch as it is relatively low-pressure but still a real competition. Check out the schedule above. Best times to observe would be an hour or two before turn-ins begin. If you are interested, I can see if any team is in need of a newbie helper. Let me know

quote:
Originally posted by mcyork28

Is this a good spectator event? Am considering competing a couple times this season. Have not competed or even been to a comp before.

Thanks,

Matt

Dale-Cider House Posted - 01/23/2018 : 08:02:11 AM
Matt, this would be a great event to watch as it is relatively low-pressure but still a real competition. Check out the schedule above. Best times to observe would be an hour or two before turn-ins begin. If you are interested, I can see if any team is in need of a newbie helper. Let me know

quote:
Originally posted by mcyork28

Is this a good spectator event? Am considering competing a couple times this season. Have not competed or even been to a comp before.

Thanks,

Matt

Dale-Cider House Posted - 01/23/2018 : 07:59:17 AM
Jason, I will add you to the wait list but do not expect I will be increasing the team capacity. I already did that to include the 14 teams that had originally signed up. If one of those teams cancel, I will add you to the group. Keep watching.

quote:
Originally posted by GrateSmoke

I would like to be added to the wait list. Jason Cresswell with Grate Smoke BBQ.

mcyork28 Posted - 01/22/2018 : 10:11:44 AM

Thanks,

Matt
503 Backyard BBQ Posted - 01/21/2018 : 12:23:55 PM
What a great turnout!! Going to be fun.
GrateSmoke Posted - 01/21/2018 : 09:35:02 AM
I would like to be added to the wait list. Jason Cresswell with Grate Smoke BBQ.
Dale-Cider House Posted - 01/21/2018 : 08:44:19 AM
Rob, you are in, if still interested. Get in touch with me about power needs, side dish for potluck and if you have tables or chairs to bring

quote:

can robs be added to the wait list for rib rally

smokin rob Posted - 01/02/2018 : 09:36:57 AM
can robs be added to the wait list for rib rally
waynef Posted - 01/01/2018 : 5:20:44 PM
MAd Cow is Coming
SMOKE324 Posted - 12/30/2017 : 9:09:38 PM
I'll bring the side for G2. Pit Beans. No power needed
Warpig BBQ Posted - 12/28/2017 : 07:30:07 AM
I will not need power.
503 Backyard BBQ Posted - 12/28/2017 : 12:36:43 AM
I will bring some cream corn.
quote:
Originally posted by Dale-Cider House

Joe, we already have one team bringing chili. It is ok to duplicate but, if you have a vegetable based side dish, we already have a lot of meat. Beans are ok to duplicate, creamed corn is a good one, roasted potatoes, potato salad, etc. Let me know

quote:
Originally posted by 503 Backyard BBQ

I need no power, and for side dish we will bring some chili.

Dale-Cider House Posted - 12/27/2017 : 9:03:39 PM
Joe, we already have one team bringing chili. It is ok to duplicate but, if you have a vegetable based side dish, we already have a lot of meat. Beans are ok to duplicate, creamed corn is a good one, roasted potatoes, potato salad, etc. Let me know

quote:
Originally posted by 503 Backyard BBQ

503 Backyard BBQ Posted - 12/27/2017 : 5:23:35 PM
Warpig BBQ Posted - 12/27/2017 : 1:37:46 PM
Warpig BBQ-

I would like to reserve a spot for the Rib Rally. I will make a Clam Chowder for the Potluck.
DMee Posted - 12/27/2017 : 1:14:12 PM
Lake House BBQ will be there. Cheesecake Dessert, Two 2x4 tables, Four padded folding chairs. Need power.
Dale-Cider House Posted - 12/27/2017 : 09:04:31 AM
Thanks Dave. We'll try to have a blast again this year

quote:
Originally posted by Smokin Bocks

We'll bring green bean casserole. Don't need power. Can supply two tables but no chairs. Looking forward to this event, it was a blast last year.

Smokin Bocks Posted - 12/26/2017 : 10:19:30 PM
We'll bring green bean casserole. Don't need power. Can supply two tables but no chairs. Looking forward to this event, it was a blast last year.

© 2018 Pacific Northwest BBQ Association Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000