The WASHINGTON STATE SPRING FAIR BBQ PLAYOFFS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

MADDOG

South Sandwich Islands
1190 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  8:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you’ve ever wanted to be a part of a really big event, you’re about to have your chance! The WASHINGTON STATE SPRING FAIR BBQ PLAYOFFS are set for April 22nd and 23rd in Puyallup and you’ve never seen crowds like we’re going to see, there. The Fair averages 90,000 attendees on Saturday of the Spring Fair and 45,000 on Sunday! (Here are a LOT of details about this comp as there some major differences between this and your average event, around here.)
The Fair is promoting the BBQ competition as a major draw to this year’s event and we should anticipate one heck of a lot of visitors, questions and BBQ hungry faces!
This is turning into an absolutely premier event for Northwest BBQ as in their first year, the prize fund is already a whopping $15,000! In addition, vending/sampling opportunities promise to be more lucrative, than we’ve seen before.
Think of it this way. You ARE the show!
Here’s the rundown. First of all, your Events committee has crammed a ton of information on the Registration form. Please give that your attention for most of your questions and get yours turned in as soon as you can! We’ll elaborate here so you have the details.
Let it be known that DAN GORTON of BONANZA BBQ has been working on making this event happen for the last couple of years. He has put a significant amount of effort and good will into making this come together and if you know Dan, you already know that success has a lot to do with his honesty, positive nature and just wonderful attitude about and toward everyone he meets. The fact is that WE HAVE DAN TO THANK for this huge event! PLEASE join me in doing so!!!
You’ll have all the standard amenities very close by except port-a-potties. Instead, within about 50 yards, there will be multiple, permanent restrooms. (Yay!) Add to that, power on site for anyone who needs it. Bring your extension cords. The turn-in table and judges will be right next to us under a huge pavilion, where we will also have our stage, PA system and bleachers and did I mention the Beer Garden?!? All of those and the cook team sites will be really convenient.
The Fair has invited us to be a part of their HUGE enterprise and posted a most generous prize fund (Especially for a first year comp!) with the understanding that we’ll be able to feed a good number of the folks who come to check out the competition. With that in mind we have arranged for a very good vending/sampling operation for you. If you normally charge $1 for a nice sample, the Fair is HIGHLY encouraging you to sell it for $2. As they are rightfully saying, things are more expensive at the Fair! After the cut is taken out, you’ll walk away with $1.30 for what you would normally take about $1.00 or as low as 75 cents! And your volume will very likely be, well…how much can you handle? The Fair officials are really emphasizing the huge numbers they pack in every year and they anticipate the competition will be a big, big draw. You can do what you can do and we appreciate your best effort in the hopes of making this an event that Fair attendees want to return to next year (Because they got to sample championship BBQ!!!) THAT’S what will cause this event to happen for a second year and what will make it Grow!
So, Saturday, vending can run from 11 am until about 7:30 pm. Do you HAVE TO serve that long? We understand we are all there FIRST to compete and that takes prep time. Everyone understands that. So, Dan and Christina Gorton’s BONANZA BBQ will be in place to serve full meal deals throughout both days of the Fair, to take up the slack, so to speak. However, on Saturday, we’re also having a PEOPLE’S CHOICE competition where guests will vote during your sampling/vending for the best BBQ creation they tasted. What can you cook/vend? “ANYTHING BBQ”. We’ll quickly tabulate those votes at 5:00 pm and the top three vote getters will then turn in samples of their vending to a team of select judges who will perform an anonymous, LIVE JUDGING on stage, in front of us and any fair goers, not unlike the BBQ Pitmasters format. We’re calling it the BBQ Pitmasters’ Challenge. It should be entertaining! Good prize money for a side category, too.
Also on Saturday, we’ll have several live, public BBQ demonstrations on the stage, all of this under the theme of entertaining the fair goers.
Sunday will be a standard competition day with the exception that if you have the capacity, you are highly encouraged to vend/sample as much as you can. Some of us are bringing extra team members to assist in vending/sampling on both days. Sunday you can sample/vend your competition leftovers plus, “Anything BBQ”.
I will post driving directions here to the Service gate through which we’ll access the close-by site. See load in times on the Registration form. Load out is a different animal. Sunday evening NOBODY loads out of the Fair before 8:00 pm….NOBODY. The horse trailers, cattle cars, other vendors…no vehicles can drive into the fairgrounds before 8pm. Of course, you can tear down and load up to be ready but take your time because the Fair's safety rules for this have been in place for years and this huge enterprise knows exactly what works for them and they do not deviate from it.
The Fair does not allow RVs overnight IN the Fairgrounds BUT they have nearby parking areas where you can enjoy hook-ups and it’s just a few minute’s walk from the comp site. If you are bringing an RV it must be registered with the Fair. That reservation sheet is also included with our Registration form. Don’t put that off as they can and sometimes do fill up their RV “park”.
To make sure we don’t have 20 teams serving the same “Anything BBQ” item, please post your selection here or send me an email (patmaddock@cbbain.com) and we can discuss your ideas. Let’s revisit the dollars and cents of that. While nobody is engaging in price fixing, you can charge what you want but the Fair staff is HIGHLY encouraging us to price nothing below $2. Your take from that will be $1.30 which is better than it normally would be, obviously, when we only charge a buck for it. Yes, you can charge more for better items. Use your best judgement. The Fair is asking for a list of who will be serving what and charging what for it, by 1 April. So, please post that as soon as possible. Late teams to register, just let me know as soon as you can, OK?
More details will follow and we’ll post HEALTH DEPARTMENT guidelines for you, too. PLEASE take those very seriously! Approved hot holding equipment will be on-hand for you to hold pans of cooked “Anything BBQ” throughout the day.
Our cutoff for teams is 40. Any questions about any of this, I’m at patmaddock@cbbain.com We do believe this will end up to be an absolutely premier BBQ competition for the Northwest. Come join us and register soon! See you in Puyallup!

Pat "Maddog" Maddock

"We must embrace our inner poultry." (It's a Zen BBQ thang)

Edited by - MADDOG on 03/15/2017 06:31:49 AM

bigbill

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  4:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit bigbill's Homepage  Send bigbill a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Pat,

The Rib Mafia is in!! Paid, form will be sent in tomorrow!! I am 5 blocks from the fair, if anyone needs help with anything downtown or a backup to anything I can help!!

Bill Stock
The Rib Mafia - "BBQ You Can't Refuse"
http://www.facebook.com/TheRibMafia
Trailer Pit "Home-Built"
Traeger Lil' Tex
WSM 18"
WSM 22"
Weber Mini (Home-built)
Weber Kettles
Go to Top of Page

MADDOG

South Sandwich Islands
1190 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  5:16:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Bill - Knew you wouldn't miss it! Wonder if you want to maybe come help some on Friday if you're not working??? Drop me a note at the email below. pat

EVERYONE - REGISTRATIONS and Vending ideas are coming in already. If you want to discuss what you are considering and email to me patmaddock@cbbain.com I'll be happy to tell you if someone else is working on the same type of item. Some duplication I'm sure will be fine but we don't want too many folks doing the same thing and cutting into each other's business. Want max benefit for all !!!

Pat "Maddog" Maddock

Go to Top of Page

Dale-Cider House

USA
808 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  7:01:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dale-Cider House's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cider House BBQ will at least be vending. Working on getting together with another team that is going to compete. At this point, I am thinking we will be selling pastrami sliders. Have not yet worked out the price point - if we can do a decent serving for $2, so be it. More to come after I get adopted by a comp team

Dale Groetsema
Legends of NW BBQ
Leukemia Sucks, Too BBQ
Cider House BBQ
Go to Top of Page

MADDOG

South Sandwich Islands
1190 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  11:27:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watch the Forum ROLL CALL thread for the WA Spring Fair BBQ Playoffs for a list of what teams are cooking what for Vending/Sampling.

Edited by - MADDOG on 03/14/2017 11:30:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

ddmartin

278 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2017 :  6:15:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit ddmartin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Will a 20x40 be available for our truck camper and trailer pit?
Go to Top of Page

MADDOG

South Sandwich Islands
1190 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  12:35:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lets work something out there swabbie, as the Fair will not allow RVs on site. They can be in the RV lot just a brief walk away - see the RV Reservation form posted along with our Registration forms. Love to have you join us but we'll have to work around that one bump.

Pat "Maddog" Maddock

Go to Top of Page

MADDOG

South Sandwich Islands
1190 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2017 :  6:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As of Monday, April 17th at 6:00pm, registration for this event is closed.

Pat "Maddog" Maddock

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2015 Pacific Northwest BBQ Association Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000