BBQ Cooking Class
This class is perfect for anyone who wants to enter a BBQ competition or simply become the best pitmaster in the neighborhood. This is a hands-on BBQ class teaching the basics of meat selection, fire management, cooking timelines, and flavor profiles. A great class for anyone who loves BBQ!
- Competition BBQ Basics, Tips, Tricks & Timelines
- BBQ Equipment
- BBQ Theory
- Meat Selection
- Wood Selection
- Theory of Rubs & Sauce Flavor Profiles
Learn to cook the four BBQ Competition Meats:
- Beef Brisket
- Pork Butt (Shoulder)
- Pork Ribs
- Smoked Tailgate Appetizers
Class participants will have the opportunity to cook four competition meats: Beef Brisket, Pork Butt, Chicken, & Pork Ribs. Other aspects of the class will include basic bbq equipment information, barbecue theory, meat selection, wood selection, theory and practice of rub and sauce making and presentation. This is a hands on cooking class after instruction teams will trim, season, and cook the four competition meats. At the end of the day, teams will submit entries in a class competition and receive feedback from judges on their entries.
All meat, rubs, sauce, turn-in boxes, wood and charcoal will be furnished for teams.
Cooks should bring:
- Charcoal / wood burning smokers (NO GAS or electric (pellet smokers ok)). The number of smokers needed will depend on size and should be able to cook 1 brisket, 1 pork butt, 2 racks of ribs, and 6 chicken thighs at a minimum. Two 22” backyard kettle or vertical water pan smoker such as a Weber Smokey Mountain is recommend. If cooks want to take the class but do not have a smoker we have a limited number that we can loan out for the day. Arrangements must be made in advance.
- Chimney starter and lighter
- Any specific wood and charcoal you want to use
- Pop up tent are useful 8x8 or 10x10 (class will not be cancelled for rain).
- Knives, tongs, cutting boards, bowls
- Digital thermometer
- Aluminum foil, disposable foil pans.
- Folding table
- Cooler for personal drinks, etc.
Eric Mendel – Pitmaster of Slow Porkin' BBQ
Rob Kimmons – Pitmaster of Rob's Smokin' and Grillin' BBQ
Franklin County Fire District 3 – Station 33
8271 Selph Landing Road
Pasco, WA 99301
- 7:00 AM Class Begins - Students should come early enough to unload and get set up before 7.
- 12:00 PM Lunch Break – lunch provided.
- 5:30 PM Class Ends
For all the details: PNWBA.COM, in the FORUM, Event Information page.
Cost: $199 per person
- 1 year membership to PNWBA
- Meat, rub, and sauce included for class
Registration closes: March 21, 2020
COOKS WILL BE GROUPED TOGETHER IN TEAMS OF TWO (each person must pay entry fee). If you have two or more people you want together as a team please register together or indicate on the form who you want your partner to be!
* Space is limited! No onsite registration.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Eric Mendel: 206-617-1294