Call For Judges
WA STATE SPRING FAIR BBQ PLAYOFFS
IN PUYALLUP, WA
EVENT DATE: SUNDAY APRIL 24TH, 2022
Registration Deadline – April 4th, 2022
As this is a fully sanctioned traditional 4 meat PNWBA event, the Washington State Spring Fair BBQ Playoffs is a different type of event than most others you'll participate in as it's really a BBQ vending event with a couple of cooking competitions thrown in. With a new, total prize purse of... $25,000 for the two competitions, it's the richest cooking competition in the Northwest!
For additional information about the PNWBA BBQ competition and SCA steak competition, please visit: https://patmaddock.wixsite.com/spring
- Organizer: WA State Fair / Pat Maddock
- PNWBA Board Representative: Pat Maddock & Bill Stock
- PNWBA Head Judges: Steve Rubin & Lance Rasmussen
- Steve Rubin - (206) 412-0877 cell / message / text. Email: email@example.com
- Lance Rasmussen – 206-601-2337 cell / message / text. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pat Maddock - 253-229-8889 cell, Email:email@example.com
PNWBA BBQ Prize Pool:
$22,500 Prize Pool
- Grand Champion - $6,000
- Reserve Grand Champion - $4,500
- Reserve Champion - $2,500
- 1st - $550
- 2nd - $400
- 3rd - $300
- 4th - $200
- 5th - $175
- 6th-10th - $150
- Pork Ribs
Important... You must be logged into this website with your email and password in order to access the registration for the event.
At this time, we are planning on 4 judging tables, but will be adjusted based on updated team count.
We are looking for the following:
• 24 Judges. Judges will be selected with preference for PNWBA Certified BBQ Judges. If you are not a PNWBA CBJ but are a KCBS CBJ, then you may be placed in a volunteer position or moved to a wait list as PNWBA CBJ's are given preference.
• 4 Table Captains. Preference will be to certified as Table Captains.
• 5-6 Volunteers, i.e. Food Runners, Meat Wranglers, and general helpers.
Due to the fluid nature of this event, signing up does not guarantee a judging spot. Please be willing to volunteer as needed. Should there be a reduction in judges needed, an email will be sent to see if you would wish to volunteer.
The head judges will make the final assessment of volunteers and choose the seated judges. Tables will also be adjusted by the Head Judges at the event to try and even out the judge levels and experience.
Please sign up for the waitlist if initial spots are full and we need to expand to a 5th table. We had to use several folks from the waitlist for our past events.
Current Covid safety protocols by the state, county and facility will be observed. Table Captains and other volunteers handling turn-in boxes or food require provided gloves.
Sunday, April 24th, 2022.
Please come early to help assist with setup and so you are there prior to the judges meeting.
Reminder - Please refrain from wearing fragrances, colognes, powders, body sprays before coming to the event. It's important that all seated judges be able to smell the food and not other judges.
9:45 am- Please be at the location early and allow time for parking, entrance and finding the judging area.
10:00 am- Judges Meeting. Table Captains and volunteer meeting follows.
- 11:00pm – Pork
- 12:00pm – Ribs
- 1:00pm – Chicken
- 2:00pm - Pork Ribs
Window is 5 minutes before to 5 minutes after each hour.
Awards on Sunday April 24th at 6:30pm.
Washington State Fairgrounds
110 9th Avenue Southwest
Puyallup, WA 98371-6811
For detailed driving instructions, please visit: https://patmaddock.wixsite.com/spring
Puyallup has several hotel options. The fairgrounds has an RV Park and bookings can be made directly with them at $35/night https://www.thefair.com/general-info/rv-camping/.