BIG SMOKE IN LITTLE KALAMA
IN KALAMA, WA
EVENT DATE: JUNE 25th through 26th, 2022
Registration Deadline – June 17th, 2022
This is a fully sanctioned BRAND-NEW traditional 4 meat PNWBA event located in Kalama's Haydu Park.
QUALIFIER? - This should be a Jack and American Royal qualifier if we have at least 15 teams turning in ALL entries.Event Management:
- Organizer: Rose Scattergood
- PNWBA Board Representative: Bill Stock
- PNWBA Head Judges: Steve Rubin & Jane Biehl
Wilcox + Flegel, Steelscape, ASC Profiles, Rocket 107, Real Country, Fibre Federal Credit Union, C & C Logging, Cowlitz Clean Sweeps, ilani, Kalama Chamber of Commerce
PNWBA BBQ Prize Pool:
- Grand Champion - $1,900
- Reserve Grand Champion - $1,000
- 1st - $250
- 2nd - $200
- 3rd - $150
- 4th - $100
- 5th - $50
- 6th - $25
- Pork Ribs
IRS W-9 Forms:
The person payable from each team must have a completed W-9 on file with the PNWBA filed on our electronic W-9 service during the 2022 season prior to competing at this event.
Load in times:
12:00 PM Friday 6/24 to 9:00 AM Saturday 6/25
ATTENTION - FIRST TIME COMPETITORSFriday, June 24th at 6:00 PM in Haydu Park in the comp area: A Basic Overview of Competition BBQ class scheduled for all team members including box building. Question & Answer time with Pitmaster and Head Judges.
- Early Saturday Morning June 25th prior to vending
REQUIRED Cook’s Meeting:
- Saturday, June 25th at 1:00 PM - 1 member from each cook team required to attend, no exceptions.
EXTRA Category - Anything Bacon - No Entry FeeTurn-In Time: 3:00 PM Saturday, June 25th.
Rules for Anything Bacon:
- Anything Bacon - Any fuel source is acceptable. Please keep in mind that bacon is the featured ingredient.
- Open garnish with sturdy entry tray/platter limited to 20"x20". No live animals, fire, or tippy (you will have to carry entry across a very crowded venue) presentations allowed. Skewers, toothpick, etc. are allowed, but mist be visible. Served whole or 6 individual plated entries allowed.
- Entries are not guaranteed to be served in order of arrival at the turn-in table. If your entry requires it to remain at a constant temperature (heat or cold) during the judging process, that source must be provided by you and must not interfere with showing and serving of the entry. Suggested source for heat would be hot pack or similar and suggested source for cold would be dry ice or cold pack.
Prize for Anything Bacon:$450 gift certificate to Inn at Blackberry Creek in Walla Walla along with a wine tasting for two at Otis Kenyon Winery at Walla Walla.
People's Choice has been added to the schedule - voting by the public will include both Saturday and Sunday. Please provide a container to put tickets/tokens in at your site. Bring them to the Judging Area by 3:00 PM on Sunday.
- Awards on Sunday June 26th at 5:00pm (or earlier if processing completes earlier)
Load out times:
- Sunday, June 26th after the awards
Between 10:00 PM and 6:00 AM
Turn-in Times on Sunday, June 26th:
- 10:55 am to 11:04:59 am – Pork
- 11:55 am to 12:04:59 pm - Brisket
- 12:55 pm to 1:04:59 pm - Chicken
- 1:55 pm to 2:04:59 pm - Ribs
Note that turn-in window is different for those who have competed in SCA events and turn-in order may be different than other organizations.
HEALTH DEPARTMENT REQUIREMENTS:
The local health department has agreed to use the forms from Tacoma-Pierce County (same as used at Spring Fair). You will receive one by email once you have registered for the event. Fill out the Health Department menu declaration and signature of head cook IF vending/sampling. Teams that are vending/sampling must have at least one member with a valid Washington State Health card.
Send completed forms to Rose Scattergood at email@example.com no later than June 15th. DO NOT WAIT - get them in now if you plan to vend/sample!
Still room for anyone interested in vending all day Saturday & Sunday. Please contact Bill Stock at (253)241-8917 (cell / message / text.) for full details. 100% goes to you so be ready to take payments and have lots of smaller bills for change. There is no ATM on site. Handwritten signs are allowed. Contact Bill if you have any questions.
All teams are encouraged to sample, but NOT a requirement. Any team sampling their leftover meats on Sunday need to fill out a Health Department declaration and signature of head cook. Food samples should be 2 ounces for $2.00 and 4 oz for $4.00 maximum. No full plates. There will be a couple of food vendors on-site that will have BBQ for full meals. Teams that are vending/sampling must have at least one member with a valid Washington State Health Card. 100% goes to you so be ready to take payments and have lots of smaller bills for change. There is no ATM on site. Handwritten signs are allowed.
Current Covid safety protocols by the state, county and facility will be observed.Team Requirements:
Please review the Team Rules Page, even if you are an experienced team. Each site will be inspected to meet these requirements. If you are a new to competition BBQ team or new to PNWBA competitions, we recommend visiting our New Team Info page.
Entry fee is $195.00 USD and is non-refundable. In the event of a cancellation by the event coordinator, $182.50 will be refunded from the entrant’s payment. Regardless of the situation, a designated amount of $12.50 from the entry fee is non-refundable to cover payment and event processing expenses.
Entry Payment Due:
Entry fees must be paid at the time of registration.
Power - Teams mus bring their own extension cord. The event should have enough power for all, but it is suggested that you bring a power generator as a backup.
Potable Water - provided by venue
Trash disposal – provided by venue
Ash disposal – provided by venue
Grease disposal – provided by venue
Grey water disposal – provided by venue
Team Event Size:
20x20 – If you require a larger footprint or can fit in a smaller footprint, contact the organizer.
253 Kalama River Road,
RV and Hotel Accommodations:
20 RV sites reserved at the RV Inn Style Resort, which is half a mile away. They are giving us a 10% discount off of $75. Mention Big Smoke BBQ when reserving.
Kalama Harbor Lodge - McMenamins Hotel
4 rooms are reserved for 6/24 and 6/25 under the name Rose Scattergood. These rooms are $300 per night and will be held on a first come first served basis up until one week before the event.